According to a new report from the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the effects of climate change are rapidly increasing; unless greenhouse gas emissions are drastically reduced, rising temperatures will result in dramatic rises in sea levels, destroy ecosystems, and leave billions of people vulnerable to extreme weather effects, driving many from their homes. With the green building community focused on energy efficiency, decarbonization, and reducing reliance on fossil fuels, labs are looking to do their part and reduce the carbon footprint of the research community.
In keeping with that goal, the International Institute for Sustainable Laboratories (I2SL) has chosen our theme for the 2022 Annual Conference and Technology Fair to encourage our community to Come Together for Climate Solutions. Please plan to join us in person in Pittsburgh at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center October 16-19, 2022!
To ensure that we address these critical steps that labs can take to mitigate and address climate change impacts, I2SL invites high-tech facility designers, builders, managers, owners, suppliers, and other industry leaders to present their projects and technologies during the I2SL Annual Conference. The Call for Presenters closes March 18, although I2SL members will get a week longer to submit their abstracts by March 25. As an added incentive to share your information and lessons learned, up to two presenters per topic receive a significant discount on conference registration.
I2SL is looking for speakers to cover the following climate-related themes, in addition to a variety of other topics:
Architecture and Sustainable Design
- Climate resilience to help lab facility managers and owners better anticipate and prepare for the hazards and risks related to our changing climate and allow important research to continue.
- Carbon-neutral lab design and net-zero emissions project case studies to minimize or reduce the impact of greenhouse gas emissions related to research.
Engineering and Energy Efficiency
- Decarbonization approaches and success stories that will demystify the challenges and inspire designers and owners to reduce their carbon footprint.
- Energy/heat recovery projects that cost-effectively improve labs' energy performance and reduce associated emissions.
- Renewable energy/microgrids as a carbon-free electricity solution.
Lab Users, Operators, and Managers
- Sustainable procurement that examines and reduces the environmental impacts of lab equipment and packaging, including addressing embedded carbon.
Review the Call for Presenters and submit an abstract by Friday, March 18, 2022 (March 25 for I2SL members). We look forward to reviewing all the great ideas our speakers submit!
If you have any questions regarding the 2022 Annual Conference, how to submit an abstract, or general questions feel free to visit the I2SL website or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.