International Laboratory Freezer Challenge
The International Freezer Challenge is a friendly competition designed to promote best practices in cold storage management. Challenge winners are determined based on the amount of energy they save and can also earn points for sharing tips about their own cold storage best practices.
- Despite the challenges presented by COVID-19, 218 labs or sites participated in this year’s International Laboratory Freezer Challenge, representing 88 research organizations around the world. This year’s Freezer Challenge participants saved a combined 3.2 million kilowatt hours (kWh) of electricity per year. These energy savings helped reduce carbon emissions by 2,260 metric tons—the equivalent of removing 360 cars from the road for a year!
- 2020 Organizational Winners
- Whitehead Institute and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- National Institutes of Health
- The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign was deserving of the top academic organization spot for the third year in a row, so they will be receiving the Winning Streak Award this year!
- 2020 Laboratory Winners
- The Learning and Research Laboratory at the University of Bristol
- Janssen Biotherapeutics (JBIO) Lab at Janssen Pharmaceuticals in La Jolla, CA
- Laboratory of Cell Biology at the Center for Cancer Research of the National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health
- The winners will be recognized during the 2020 Virtual I2SL Annual Conference, October 7.
- Just because the challenge is over, doesn't mean you have to stop improving your lab's cold storage. Check out the Freezer Challenge's website to find tips on good management practices, temperature tuning, and technology retirements and upgrades to reduce the environmental impact and energy costs of your lab.
- Visit the Freezer Challenge Resources page to view the webinars "Decrease Energy Usage in the Laboratory With the Next Generation of Sustainable Ultra-Low Freezers" and "Beyond Power Consumption: Storing Efficiently at -80C."
- Read about the 2019 winners and the benefits of joining the Challenge to get inspired for this year!
- I2SL and My Green Lab would like to thank the 2020 Freezer Challenge sponsors:
Silver Level Sponsor
Bronze Level Sponsor