International Laboratory Freezer Challenge
The International Freezer Challenge is a friendly competition co-sponsored by I2SL and My Green Lab designed to promote best practices in cold storage management. Challenge winners are determined based on the amount of energy they save and can also earn points for sharing tips about their own cold storage best practices.
View the recording for My Green Lab's virtual event, Let's Talk Freezers. During the conversation, the 2021 Freezer Challenge sponsor organizations discussed their work and answered attendee questions about lab cold storage.
- Registration for the 2021 Freezer Challenge is now open! Register online to receive your scoresheet and begin earning points for your cold storage energy savings. You can count any actions you’ve taken from August 1, 2020, until the July 1, 2021, deadline on your scoresheet.
- Labs can receive points for implementing good management practices, retiring and upgrading old freezer units, temperature tuning, and more. Participants can also earn points for sharing their own cold storage best practices. Learn more about what you can do to earn points on the Freezer Challenge website.
- Winners get their photo in Nature and will be recognized at the September 2021 I2SL Annual Conference.
- Despite the challenges presented by COVID-19, 218 labs or sites participated in this year’s International Laboratory Freezer Challenge, representing 88 research organizations around the world. This year’s Freezer Challenge participants saved a combined 3.2 million kilowatt hours (kWh) of electricity per year. These energy savings helped reduce carbon emissions by 2,260 metric tons—the equivalent of removing 360 cars from the road for a year!
- 2020 Organizational Winners
- Whitehead Institute and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- National Institutes of Health
- The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign was deserving of the top academic organization spot for the third year in a row, so they will be receiving the Winning Streak Award this year!
- 2020 Laboratory Winners
- The Learning and Research Laboratory at the University of Bristol
- Janssen Biotherapeutics (JBIO) Lab at Janssen Pharmaceuticals in La Jolla, CA
- Laboratory of Cell Biology at the Center for Cancer Research of the National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health
- The winners were recognized during the 2020 Virtual I2SL Annual Conference, October 7. Watch the ceremony here.
- Read about the 2020 winners and the benefits of joining the Challenge to get inspired for this year!
- Visit the Freezer Challenge Resources page to view the webinars "Decrease Energy Usage in the Laboratory With the Next Generation of Sustainable Ultra-Low Freezers" and "Beyond Power Consumption: Storing Efficiently at -80C."
- I2SL and My Green Lab would like to thank the 2020 Freezer Challenge sponsors:
Silver Level Sponsors
Bronze Level Sponsors