International Laboratory Freezer Challenge
The International Freezer Challenge is a friendly competition designed to promote best practices in cold storage management. Challenge winners are determined based on the amount of energy they save and can also earn points for sharing tips about their own cold storage best practices.
- The Challenge is back in 2020 with a new look—and a lot of new ideas for making lab freezers run more efficiently.
- Sign up before August 1 to start refreshing your lab's cold storage habits!
- Participants will receive tips on good management practices, temperature tuning, and technology retirements and upgrades to reduce the environmental impact and energy costs of their labs.
- The winners will be recognized at the 2020 I2SL Annual Conference in Chicago, Illinois, October 4-7.
- Visit the Freezer Challenge Resources page to view the webinars "Decrease Energy Usage in the Laboratory With the Next Generation of Sustainable Ultra-Low Freezers" and "Beyond Power Consumption: Storing Efficiently at -80C."
- Read about the 2019 winners and the benefits of joining the Challenge to get inspired for this year!
- 2019 Organizational Winners:
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Charles River Laboratories – Mattawan
- The University of Illinois – Urbana Champagne
- 2019 Laboratory Winners:
- The Biology/Automated Strain Engineering Lab, Amyris, Inc.
- The IRAT and CCB Labs in the Division of Laboratory Sciences, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- The Reynolds Lab, Imperial College London
- I2SL and My Green Lab would like to thank the 2020 Freezer Challenge sponsors:
Silver Level Sponsor
Bronze Level Sponsor