2020 Call for Presenters
The Call for Presenters is now closed. Thank you to all who submitted abstracts!
Note: If you submitted an abstract, you should have received a confirmation email. If you did not receive a confirmation email, your abstract may not have been received. Check your spam or junk folder too. Email I2SL if you have any questions.
New and exciting techniques and technologies broaden the scope of innovation and adaptation in the sustainable laboratory and high-tech facility community. Each year, I2SL invites planners, designers, builders, facility managers and owners, manufacturers, and other industry leaders to present their latest work and advancements during the I2SL Annual Conference.
- Call for Presenters Deadlines
- Presentation Guidelines
- Registration Requirement
- Speaker Benefits
- Selection Criteria
- Suggested Presentation Topics
- Additional Publication and Recognition Opportunities
|Friday, March 6, 2020||Abstracts are due to I2SL.|
|Friday, March 13, 2020||Extended deadline for I2SL Members to submit abstracts.
Not a member? Join today!
|May 2020||Applicants will be notified via email of their status and will be able to register for the conference.|
|Friday, September 11, 2020||Deadline to cancel registration and receive a refund.|
|Thursday, October 1, 2020||Conference presentations due to I2SL in advance of the conference.|
Each presentation in a technical session will have 30 minutes. I2SL recommends allotting 20 minutes for the presentation and 10 minutes for questions and answers. Consider limiting your presentation to 10 to 20 slides to allow enough time for each slide. Our technical audience is looking for in-depth information on your projects, including challenges faced, lessons learned, and specific innovations incorporated. Sales presentations are prohibited.
All speakers are required to register for and attend the conference during their presentation time. Speakers are responsible for all fees associated with attending the conference, including but not limited to:
- Conference registration fee (See Speaker Benefits below).
- Hotel accommodations.
- Travel costs (e.g., airfare, parking).
- Meals (excluding those included with the conference registration package).
If you are unable to present, you must notify I2SL by Friday, September 11, 2020, and provide a replacement speaker. If you do not notify I2SL and provide a replacement speaker by this deadline, I2SL may not consider you as a speaker for future conferences.
I2SL offers the following benefits to speakers:
- Discounted registration fee of $800 for I2SL members and $900 for non-members (two discounts available per presentation).
- Abstract or presentation considered for additional publication opportunities.
- Name, abstract, biography, and presentation posted on the I2SL website, with speaker's permission.
- Name, organization, and presentation title listed in the conference's onsite mobile app. The abstract and biography will also be included with the speaker's permission.
- Speaker ribbons on name badges.
- Networking opportunities with other leaders in your field.
Note: This is a reduced paper conference. I2SL will not provide hard copies of any speaker's materials at the conference; however, we will make your abstract, speaker biography, and presentation available electronically if we receive an authorization waiver on your abstract submission.
A committee of laboratory sustainability experts will review all abstract submissions. Entries will be judged on:
- Quality and merit of technical information presented.
- Relevance to I2SL's sustainable laboratory and high-tech facility community.
- Aspects of your approach, concept, or technology application that are sustainable, cutting-edge, unique, and/or noteworthy.
- Lessons learned that the audience will take away from the presentation (i.e., the stated learning objectives).
- Useful, tangible materials the audience can take away from the presentation, such as tools, resources, or samples.
- Absence of marketing at any point during the presentation.
Special attention will be given to abstracts that:
- Focus on new developments and technologies.
- Evaluate a completed project's performance by presenting documented results over a period of time.
- Are presented by the facility owner.
- Are related to the suggested presentation topics.
In addition, keep in mind:
- Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- Abstracts proposing more than two speakers will not be considered.
Abstracts that contain marketing materials will not be considered.
I2SL strives to provide presentations that meet the needs of the sustainable laboratory and high-tech facility community. I2SL welcomes abstracts that:
- Relate to the suggested presentation topics listed below and/or involve any new or innovative information or cutting-edge sustainable technologies. These abstracts will be given first priority, as these presentations are among the most well received by the I2SL Annual Conference audience.
- Provide follow-up information or lessons learned from projects discussed during past conferences.
- Provide an owner and/or user's perspective.
If there are any remaining session spots in the agenda, I2SL may fill them with abstracts on additional topics.
- Architecture/Engineering - Labs That Are Sustainable Inside and Out
- Renovations vs. New Labs—Cost Considerations and Other Factors for Decision-Making
- Sustainable Laboratory Design and Building Systems (New and Retrofit)
- Examples of Human-Centric Lab Design – WELL Buildings as Labs – People First
- Design and Engineered Aspects That Improve Coordination of O&M and Users
- Case Studies of Working With Concerned Neighbors in Lab Planning
- From Furnishing to Flooring, Giving Your Lab the Sustainability Treatment
- Lab Managers/Users track
- Defining and Purchasing Sustainable Laboratory Equipment and Furnishings
- Utilizing Lab Space More Efficiently and Sharing Research Resources
- Laboratory Conservation and Education Programs for Lab Managers and Users
- Landfill Solid Waste Diversion
- Green Labs in Action
- Learning from PIs and Researchers
- Balancing Environmental Health, Safety, and Security with Sustainability
- Laboratory Codes, Standards, and Hazard Assessments
- Lab Casework That Is Ergonomic, Environmentally Responsive and Effective
- HVAC Control Strategies for Operational Success in Safety, Health, and Efficiency
- Strategies in Creating Labs as WELL Buildings
- Optimizing Lab Performance
- Comparing Actual Energy Consumption to What Was Modeled
- Use of CFD Modeling and Live Monitoring for Actual Lab Ventilation
- Case Studies of Renewable Energy Systems for Labs
- Case Studies of Start-up and Continuous Commissioning of Labs
- Carbon Neutrality and Net-Zero Energy or All-Electric Labs
- Managing Change Strategies for Lab Designers and Owners
- Learning Labs—Can Students Gain an Appreciation for Their Work Environment?
- Special/Regional Lab Considerations
- Choices in Lab Building Envelopes (roof, floor, windows and exterior walls)
- Water Conservation Applied to Labs (rainwater opportunities and more)
- Strategies to Reduce Labs' Impacts on Local Services: Gas, Electric, Water, Sewers, Waste Systems
- Case Studies in Plans to Integrate Labs Into Densely Populated Community
- Sustainable Vivarium Strategies
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Working With Others (ASHRAE, APPA, USGBC, etc.)
Presentations on I2SL's Website
I2SL will make the conference proceedings available to interested parties. Conference attendees will be able to access the presentations via a password-protected page on the I2SL website for free for a limited period following the conference. Those who do not attend the conference but are interested in viewing the presentations will be able to access the presentations by becoming an I2SL Member.
Put your brand in front of laboratory owners, operators, and designers at the 2020 I2SL Annual Conference. Build your custom sponsorship package and connect with attendees in a way that best suits your company’s specific needs and make the most of your time and money! Sponsorship opportunities begin at just $1,500 and include valuable benefits for your organization.
Back to the 2020 I2SL Annual Conference