2017 Call for Presenters
Note: After you submit your abstract, you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation email, your abstract may not have been received. Email I2SL if you have any questions.
New and exciting techniques and technologies broaden the scope of innovation and adaptation in the sustainable laboratory and high-tech facility community. Each year, I2SL invites planners, designers, builders, facility managers and owners, manufacturers, and other industry leaders.
- Call for Presenters Deadlines
- Presentation Guidelines
- Registration Requirement
- Speaker Benefits
- Selection Criteria
- Suggested Presentation Topics
- Additional Publication and Recognition Opportunities
Call for Presenters Deadlines
|Friday, March 17, 2017||Abstracts are due to I2SL.|
|Friday, March 24, 2017||Extended deadline for I2SL Members to submit abstracts.
Not a member? Join today!
|May 2017||Selected speakers will be notified via email and will be able to register for the conference.|
|Friday, July 21, 2017||Deadline for speakers to register in order to receive the discounted conference registration fee.|
|Friday, September 22, 2017||Deadline to cancel registration and receive a refund.|
|Late September 2017||Conference presentations due to I2SL in advance of the conference.|
Each presentation in a technical session will have 30 minutes. I2SL recommends allotting 20 minutes for the presentation and 10 minutes for questions and answers. Consider limiting your presentation to 10 to 20 slides to allow sufficient time for each slide. Our technical audience is looking for in-depth information on your projects, including challenges faced, lessons learned, and specific innovations incorporated.
All speakers are required to register for and attend the conference during their presentation time. Speakers are responsible for all fees associated with attending the conference, including but not limited to:
- Conference registration fee (See Speaker Benefits below).
- Hotel accommodations.
- Travel costs (e.g., airfare, parking).
- Meals (excluding those included with the conference registration package).
If you are unable to present, you must notify I2SL by Friday, September 22, 2017, and provide a replacement speaker. If you do not notify I2SL and provide a replacement speaker by this deadline, I2SL may not be able to consider you as a speaker for future conferences.
I2SL offers the following benefits to speakers:
- Discounted registration fee (two per presentation).
- Abstract or presentation considered for additional publication opportunities.
- Name, abstract, biography, and presentation posted on the I2SL website, with speaker's permission.
- Name, organization, and presentation title listed in the conference's onsite mobile app. The abstract and biography will also be included with the speaker's permission.
- Speaker ribbons on name badges.
- Networking opportunities with other leaders in your field.
Note: This is a reduced paper conference. I2SL will not provide hard copies of any speaker's materials at the conference; however, we will make your abstract, speaker biography, and presentation available electronically if we receive an authorization waiver on your abstract submission.
A committee of laboratory sustainability experts will review all abstract submissions. Entries will be judged on:
- Quality and merit of technical information presented.
- Relevance to I2SL's sustainable laboratory and high-tech facility community.
- Aspects of your approach, concept, or technology application that are sustainable, cutting-edge, unique, and/or noteworthy.
- Lessons learned that the audience will take away from the presentation (i.e., the stated learning objectives).
- Useful, tangible materials the audience can take away from the presentation, such as tools, resources, or samples.
- Absence of marketing at any point during the presentation.
Special attention will be given to abstracts that:
- Focus on new developments and technologies.
- Evaluate a completed project's performance by presenting documented results over a period of time.
- Are presented by the facility owner.
- Are related to the suggested presentation topics.
In addition, keep in mind:
- Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- Abstracts proposing more than two speakers will not be considered.
- Abstracts that contain marketing materials will not be considered.
If the review committee feels your presentation would be better suited for a different presentation format than the type that you originally submitted, your presentation may be reclassified. You will be notified of any changes upon acceptance of your abstract.
Suggested Presentation Topics
I2SL strives to provide presentations that meet the needs of the sustainable laboratory and high-tech facility community. I2SL welcomes abstracts that:
- Relate to I2SL's suggested presentation topics and/or involve any new or innovative information or cutting-edge sustainable technologies. These abstracts will be given first priority, as these presentations are among the most well received by the I2SL Annual Conference audience.
- Provide follow-up information or lessons learned from projects discussed during past conferences.
- Provide an owner and/or user's perspective.
If there are any remaining session spots in the agenda, I2SL may fill them with abstracts on additional topics.
Suggested presentation topics include:
- Balancing Environmental Health, Safety, and Security with Sustainability
- Carbon Neutrality and Net-Zero Energy for Laboratories and Campuses (in Boston-Cambridge)
- HVAC Control Strategies
- Laboratory Codes, Standards, and Hazard Assessments
- Laboratory Conservation and Education at the User Level
- Laboratory Operations and Maintenance and Management of Change
- Predicting and Quantifying Laboratory Energy Performance
- Project Financing
- Sustainable Equipment for Laboratory Users
- Sustainable Laboratory Design and Building Systems (New and Retrofit)
Additional Publication and Recognition Opportunities
Presentations on I2SL's Website
I2SL will make the conference proceedings available to interested parties. Conference attendees will be able to access the presentations via a password-protected page on the I2SL website for free for a limited period of time following the conference. Those who do not attend the conference but are interested in viewing the presentations will be able to access to the presentations by becoming an I2SL Member.
Following the 2017 I2SL Annual Conference, select speakers will be invited to write a full paper on their projects for inclusion in I2SL's E-Library.
Get your organization noticed by the laboratory architects, engineers, builders, owners, and operators who specialize in creating and maintaining sustainable, high-tech facilities. Sponsorship opportunities begin at just $500 and include valuable benefits for your organization.
Back to the 2017 I2SL Annual Conference