Best Practice Guides
Part of the Labs21 Tool Kit
The Labs21 program has granted I2SL permission to share Labs21 Tool Kit resources.
Best Practice Guides provide information on the design, construction, and operation of specific technologies that contribute to energy efficiency and sustainability in laboratories. The guides include information from actual implementation of these technologies in various laboratory facilities by highlighting quantifiable performance goals and possible methods to achieve them.
- Energy Recovery in Laboratory Facilities (1.3 MB, 18 pp) Updated June 2012
- Chilled Beams (3.0 MB, 15 pp)
- Optimizing Laboratory Ventilation Rates (1.22 MB, 13 pp)
The Labs21 Optimizing Ventilation Rates Best Practice Guide is serialized in the February, March, and April 2010 issues of R&D Magazine's Laboratory Design Newsletter.
- Commissioning Ventilated Containment Systems in the Laboratory (2.8 MB, 8 pp)
- Laboratory Guidelines Using ASHRAE 90.1—2007 Appendix G (85 KB, 8 pp)
- Metrics and Benchmarks for Energy Efficiency in Laboratories (1.06 MB, 11 pp)
- Manifolding Laboratory Exhaust Systems (410 KB, 10 pp)
- Efficient Electric Lighting in Laboratories (759 KB, 10 pp)
- Minimizing Reheat Energy Use in Laboratories (392 KB, 8 pp)
- Right-Sizing Laboratory Equipment Loads (546 KB, 8 pp)
- Modeling Exhaust Dispersion for Specifying Acceptable Exhaust/Intake Designs (772 KB, 12 pp)
- Water Efficiency Guide for Laboratories (504 KB, 12 pp)
- Low-Pressure-Drop HVAC Design for Laboratories (385 KB, 8 pp)
- Daylighting in Laboratories (572 KB, 8 pp)
- Onsite Power Systems for Laboratories (1.2 MB, 22 pp)
Back to the Labs21 Tool Kit